The Mathematics Faculty is pleased to announce the Benjamin Franklin Finkel Mathematics Essay Contest. The contest is open to all students at Ohio Northern University. The winners will be announced on Honors Day, 2020, and will be recognized at that time.
The rules of the contest are:
1. Each submission may deal with any topic in mathematics, mathematics education, or applied mathematics, not including original research. The essay should be of interest to a general academic audience, be carefully and correctly written, and include accurate mathematics. Essays should not deal with statistics or actuarial science. Personal reflections on some aspect of mathematics are welcome.
2. Each student may submit only one essay.
3. Essays should be no more than 1,000 words.
4. Research is not required for this competition. However, if sources are used in the essay, they must be properly documented through in-text citations and a complete Works Cited or References page. Citations must follow MLA, APA, or AMA format. Essays with missing, incomplete, or inaccurate citations will be disqualified from the contest.
4. Submissions should be sent to Dr. Tena Roepke at email@example.com by Friday, January 31, 2020. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
5. The essays will be judged by a panel of ONU faculty members. Decisions of the panel will be final.
6. The first lines of each submission should include the submitter’s name, the submitter’s email address, and the title of the essay.
7. Certificates of participation will be awarded to all submitters.
8. The winning essays will be published.